The Ballyfad area was original part of the parish of Kilninor. Ballyfad church probably dates from the early part of the nineteenth century. Originally, it had a floor with the only seating being long stools along the side walls. In 1899 it was substantially renovated and extended. With the removal of a gallery and the addition of the belfry and porch. The rededication ceremony took place in 1899 by Bishop James Browne. Among the attendance was Cardinal Michael Logue, Archbishop of Armagh. His purpose in attending was show solidarity with the tenants evicted in the area at the time.
Among those buried in Ballyfad is the poet, James Liddy His father was the Dispensary Doctor at Coolgreany. This part of his life is recalled in A Doctor’s House. He was friendly with the poet, Patrick Kavanagh. His published numerous books of poetry including Blue Mountain, whose title poem refers to Croghan. The landscape and culture of North Wexford is an omnipresent feature in his many books .